The Islamic Garden
Introduction to Islam
Basics of Islam
Islam is a state of submission to Allah the Almighty, Who Governs, Oversees and Maintains all that exists. It states our role and duty to Allah and man.
Islam acknowledges the fact that human beings are Created, Maintained, Overseen and to be Judged by Allah the Almighty. Everything in every corner of the universe belongs to Allah; He is the Sovereign Power over all things. Nothing happens in the depths of the earth, in the sky above or in any place without His knowledge. A leaf that breaks off and drops to the ground, is known to Allah. There is no power but His. No help, but His. The Muslim stands in awe, at the Greatest, Mercy and Justice of the Creator. The Muslims is called upon through the Qu'ran and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) to enjoin piety and disdain evil. To establish peace and justice on the earth, according to the law of Allah and ensure that the word of Allah reigns supreme.
As Allah is the Sovereign Lord of all, it stands logical that it should be His Word: His Law, that is the governing factor for all humanity. Doesn't the One Who created, know His creation best of all; and know what is beneficial and what is destructive? With this in mind, the Muslims, submits to the law of Allah, knowing that it is in this way, that he/she will be able to find their way to success in this life and the next.
Islam governs the life of the Muslim and guides him/her to sound, pious behavior and attitudes. It sets the balance between work, rest and recreation and guides humanity to the path of justice and freedom.
- Basics of Faith Islam began with the first man, who was also the first prophet, namely Adam (peace be upon him). The meaning of Islam is submission and obedience to Allah, the Creator of all. From Adam (peace be upon him) through to Muhammad (peace be upon him) was delivered the message of Allah to mankind; calling them to the worship of the One true God and establishing piety on earth.
- The direction of Prayer When I first became a Muslim and started to pray, I learned that I should face towards Mecca. When I stood about to pray, I would imagine the millions of Muslims around the world in so many different places and situations, all praying in Arabic and facing towards the same place
- The Creator and the created The busy moments of life cover up the truth of reality as we go unaware through our lives, until death catches up.
- Shahada The words that are spoken when one becomes a Muslim, are few but so significant. With the utterance of these words, a person acknowledges Allah as the Creator and Sustainer of all, and the messengership of His Prophet (peace be upon him). With these words, which come from the heart, a person steps from disbelief and ignorance to knowledge, light and guidence. A person can only reach this state by the Mercy and Guidance of Allah the Almighty.
- The Holy Qur'an As people would hesitate to travel without a map and guide book, so the Muslim carries with him/her the Qu'ran; their guidebook, manual and map, to take them safely through this life into success in the Hereafter.
- Prayer in Islam Prayer in Islam, is worship of Allah the Almighty, Praising and Thanking Him, acknowledging His Sovereignty and committing oneself to obey and remember Him at all times. It is the central part of a way of life, which is based on submission to the Owner of all.
- My Prayer Prayer is not an empty ritual, it is a way of life. People have many ways to escape from the mundane tensions and troubles of life, however most of them are destructive. In Islam, prayer is a life-line, which facilitates renewal and development.
- About Mohammed s.a.w. Muhammad (peace be upon him) was the last of all the Prophets and the difference in his message, was that it was for all people and for all time, until the day of Judgment.